Skip to content
TUNISIAN TURKEY BURGERS WITH CHICK PEA MAYONNAISE
- 30 Minutes
- 25 Minutes
- 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1/4 cup BAYS® English Muffin crumbs or plain dry bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon crushed coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup packed crumbled feta cheese
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) chickpeas, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 6 BAYS® English Muffins, split and lightly toasted
- Red leaf lettuce
- Cucumber slices
- Cilantro leaves
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg white and milk to a light foam. Add bread crumbs, turkey, cilantro, raisins, onion, coriander, cumin, pepper flakes, and turmeric. Gently but thoroughly combine ingredients. Shape mixture into six patties, about 1/2-inch thick. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Prepare Chickpea Mayonnaise: In food processor (or blender) fitted with metal blade, drop garlic through feed tube with machine running. Scrape down slides, and add chickpeas, lemon juice, and mayonnaise. Process until smooth.
- Coat a heavy non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Preheat over medium-high heat until hot. Add patties and cook 7-9 minutes on each side, until turkey is thoroughly cooked (internal temperature of 165° to 170°F), and juices run clear, turning once. Press a spoonful of feta cheese on top of each patty the last 2 to 3 minutes of cooking.
- Spread cut sides of muffins with Chickpea Mayonnaise. Top bottom half of each muffin with lettuce, a burger and cucumber slices. Cover with top half of muffin, and garnish with cilantro.