Skip to content
SOUTH OF THE BORDER TUNA MELT
- 10 Minutes
- 30 Minutes
- 2 (5-ounce) cans water packed tuna, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 5 tablespoons prepared medium-hot or mild salsa
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, optional
- 4 BAYS® English Muffins, split and lightly toasted
- 4 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 avocado, smashed
- 8 slices pepper jack cheese, about 6 ounces
- Combine the tuna, celery, salsa, mayonnaise, chili powder, cumin and hot sauce, if using, in a small bowl. Cover and chill at least 20 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Spread the cut and toasted sides of the English muffins with the butter. Top each with smashed avocado and set on a rimmed baking sheet. Top the avocado evenly with the tuna mixture. Place one slice of cheese on top of each.
- Broil until the cheese melts and just starts to brown, about 1 1/2-2 minutes.
- Two great alternatives:
- South of the Border Chicken Melt: Substitute 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken for the tuna.
- South of the Border Shrimp Melt: Substitute 8 ounces of steamed shrimp for the tuna