Skip to content
SMOKED SALMON BENEDICT
- 15 Minutes
- 35 Minutes
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons honey
- 3/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper, divided
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut in eights
- 1/2 tablespoon snipped fresh chives, plus more for garnish
- 4 BAYS® English Muffins, split and toasted
- 4 ounces sliced smoked salmon
- 8 eggs, poached
- Combine red onions, red wine, red wine vinegar, honey, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt in 2 to 3 quart saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Remove cover and continue cooking over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes or until liquid has evaporated and onions are the consistency of a marmalade. Can be prepared a day or two ahead and stored covered in refrigerator.
- In a small saucepan, combine white wine, balsamic vinegar, shallot and lemon juice, and boil until reduced to about 1-1/2 tablespoons. Remove from heat and whisk in butter, adding 1 to 2 pieces at a time. Add chives and remaining salt and pepper.
- Layer smoked salmon, then 1 tablespoon onion confit on toasted muffin halves. Top with poached eggs. Drizzle with balsamic beurre blanc and garnish with chives.