Skip to content
- 5 Minutes
- 15 Minutes
- 1 can (14 oz.) whole tomatoes, with 1/4 cup of the juice reserved
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10-12 large fresh basil leaves, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Few dashes black pepper
- 6 BAYS® English Muffins, any variety, split
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Place tomatoes and reserved liquid in food processor or blender; blend until chunky. Heat olive oil in medium saucepan several minutes over medium-low heat. Add garlic and 6 of the whole basil leaves; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, sugar and seasoning; bring to a simmer. Cook over medium-low heat 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened slightly, stirring occasionally. Discard basil leaves.
- Toast muffins; place on baking sheet. Spread with tomato mixture and top with cheese.
- Broil 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with remaining basil leaves, either torn or Chiffonade cut (See Tip).
- Tip: To Chiffonade cut basil, stack 4 to 5 leaves. Roll tightly; cut crosswise with chef knife into thin strips.