Skip to content
MICHAEL’S EGGS BENEDICT
- 20 Minutes
- 20 Minutes
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, clarified (transfer 1 tablespoon to a small skillet)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped yellow bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1-1/2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1 pound honey-baked ham, spiral cut or sliced
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 8 eggs
- 4 BAYS® English Muffins, split and toasted
- To prepare Hollandaise sauce, in the top of a double boiler or in a medium Pyrex mixing bowl set over barely simmering water, combine egg yolks, water, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Whisk until slightly thick and frothy. Slowly whisk in butter a few drops at a time; until the mixture begins to emulsify. In a slow stream whisk in remaining butter until incorporated. Taste and adjust seasoning. Keep warm over warm water, whisking occasionally.
- Sauté yellow and red bell pepper in reserved clarified butter for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in chives and keep warm.
- Cook ham slices on a gas or charcoal grill or in a preheated grill pan over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes per side or until grill-marked and hot; keep warm.
- Fill a large deep skillet or sauté pan three quarters full with water; bring barely to a simmer; add vinegar. Crack each egg into a ramekin or small bowl and carefully slip into simmering water. Simmer 3 to 4 minutes or until whites are set and yolks are desired doneness. With a slotted spoon, transfer eggs to a paper towel-lined warm platter to drain.
- To assemble each serving, arrange two muffin halves on a warm serving plate. Top each muffin half with a 2-ounce portion of ham, folding if necessary, and one poached egg. Spoon about 2-1/2 tablespoons of Hollandaise sauce over egg; garnish with 1-1/2 teaspoons of bell pepper mixture.
- Variation: For blender hollandaise sauce, combine egg yolks, lemon juice, salt and white pepper (omit water) in a blender container. Blend 30 seconds or until frothy. Heat clarified butter until it sizzles and begins to simmer. With blender running, slowly pour hot butter through the hole in the blender cover and continue blending for 30 seconds after all butter has been added, or until sauce has thickened.