Skip to content
CARIBBEAN BRUNCH STRATA WITH MANGO SALSA
- 20 Minutes
- 1 Hour and 20 Minutes
- 6 BAYS® English Muffins, halved crosswise and split
- 1 tablespoon Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 8 ounces) cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion (including green parts)
- 3 tablespoons flaked or shredded unsweetened coconut
- 4 ounces mild goat cheese, crumbled
- 6 eggs
- 3-3/4 cups milk
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium mango, peeled, pitted and finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced hot chile pepper (such as serrano or jalapeno)
- 1/4 teaspoon lime zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons lime juice
- Arrange half of muffin pieces in the bottom of a buttered 2-quart glass or porcelain casserole. Sprinkle jerk seasoning on chicken and toss to coat evenly. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook, stirring, until firm, 3 to 5 minutes. Spoon over muffins in baking dish. Sprinkle with green onions, coconut and goat cheese. Top with remaining muffin pieces. Beat eggs, milk, hot sauce and salt together until blended. Ladle mixture over muffins. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least several hours or up to overnight. When ready to bake, remove plastic cover from casserole dish and preheat oven to 325° F. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, until puffy and brown. If necessary, cover with foil the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent over-browning.
- While strata is baking, prepare mango salsa. Combine mango, red onion, cilantro, chile pepper and lime zest. Season to taste with salt, black pepper and lime juice. Cover and refrigerate to blend flavors.
- When strata is done, remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving with mango salsa and tossed green salad.
- Note: If desired, 1/2 pound peeled, deveined medium shrimp may be substituted for chicken.