Skip to content
BAKED APPLE CINNAMON SKILLET FRENCH TOAST
- 5 Minutes
- 40 Minutes
- 6 BAYS® English Muffins, halved and split
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large Gala apple, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup, heated and garnished with a cinnamon stick
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Place muffin pieces, cut sides up, in a 9×13 baking dish. Set aside.
- Combine eggs, half-and-half, milk, brown sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, vanilla extract and salt in a blender. Blend until thoroughly combined. Pour mixture over muffins in baking dish. Lightly press down on muffins with a spoon to help saturate with liquid. Let soak, refrigerated, at least 1 hour.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a 12-inch oven-safe skillet (such as stainless steel or a well-seasoned cast iron pan). Saute apple chunks for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cinnamon, brown sugar and salt, and cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer soaked muffin pieces to the pan with the apple mixture, arranging them in a spiral pattern with the flat cut edges down and the curved edges out. The pattern will resemble flower petals. Pour the remaining custard over the muffin pieces.
- When ready to finish the French toast, preheat oven to 425°F. Bake for 25 minutes, brushing with 2 tablespoons melted butter during last 5 minutes of baking. Let stand about 10 minutes before serving. Lightly dust with powdered sugar, if desired. Serve with warm maple syrup.