Skip to content
APPLE CRISP WITH ICE CREAM (APPLE BROWN BETTY)
- 20 Minutes
- 45 Minutes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 BAYS® English Muffins
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter. Set aside.
- Grind muffins in blender or food processor until fine in texture. In bowl, combine crumbs, brown sugar, spices, and lemon zest. Stir well. Reserve 1/2 cup of mixture for topping. To the remaining crumbs, add sliced apples and toss well to coat.
- Turn apple mixture into prepared pan. Add walnuts to reserved crumb mixture and sprinkle over apples. Pour water over mixture. Melt remaining butter and drizzle over all. Bake for 45 minutes or until brown and bubbling. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.