A rustic French dessert - goes upscale with delicately flavored pears atop a pool of luxurious butterscotch sauce.
- 1 can (29 ounces) pear halves, drained and coarsely chopped, reserving one pear half for garnish
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (extract)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 Bays English Muffins, crumbled to fine crumbs
Spread chopped pears in bottom of buttered deep 10" quiche dish or pie plate. Beat eggs and sugar until thick and lemon-colored. Combine milk, vanilla, lemon rind and salt. Add to egg mixture. Stir in crumbled muffins, blending well. Pour over pears. Bake at 350° F for 40-45 minutes, or until set. While clafouti is baking, prepare sauce.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- whipped cream, for garnish
Combine butter and brown sugar in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until butter melts. Gradually add cream, stirring constantly. Bring mixture to boiling point. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool slightly. To serve, spoon warm sauce on serving dish. Add slice of clafouti. Top with pear slice and whipped cream.